After two years of forced interruption due to the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic, ESOR is pleased to announce the re-launch of this programme in 2022.
Application is closed.
The ESOR Visiting Scholarship Programme (Europe) offers qualified trainees the opportunity to get to know another training environment and to kick off an interest for subspecialisation in radiology. During three months of training the scholars will be provided with a structured, modular introduction to different subspecialties and will be supervised by a specialised tutor in a pre-selected, highly esteemed academic training centre in Europe.
Number of available scholarships
During 2020, up to 36 scholarships are available on different topics and will be realised in partnership with Bracco and ESR. One additional scholarship for Spanish residents in partnership with the Spanish Foundation of Radiology, three scholarships for Greek residents supported by the Hellenic Radiological Society and three scholarships for Brazilian residents sponsored by the Brazilian College of Radiology will be offered. Furthermore, two of the available scholarships will be provided for residents from Belarus within the ESR Support Initiative.
1. These scholarships apply to residents in their 3rd, 4th or 5th year of training in radiology who desire to get the benefit of a mentored modular training of a specific subspecialised topic in radiology.
2. Completion of the training curriculum from at least the first two years of residency is required, verified by the head of the department. Competence in producing a radiological report and communicating with clinicians and patients is appreciated, as well as knowledge of the principles of administration and management applied to a clinical department with multi-disciplinary staff and high-cost equipment.
3. Previous exposure in any field of special interest, including basic knowledge of imaging methods, indications for imaging and clinical expectations, is advantageous.
4. Applicants must be proficient in English.
5. ESR membership fees for 2020 must be settled.
Applicants who were selected for this programme or the Visiting Scholarship Programme USA in the past cannot be considered again.
Duration of scholarships and funding
The training will start in the second half of the year and last for three months. The scholar will receive a grant (€3.500,-) upon completion of the training, delivery of a final report and submission of original flight tickets and accommodation receipts. The grant is intended to contribute in part to travel and accommodation expenses during the training period. ESOR cannot guarantee that the grant will cover these costs in full. During the period of the training the scholar is responsible for covering his/her expenses and his/her own health insurance. The training itself is offered for free. Please note that in particular cases administrative charges may arise, which are to be covered by the grant.
The programme offers a structured modular training in a highly esteemed training centre. The trainee will have the opportunity to follow and participate in the core knowledge training programme through tutorials and lectures, followed by hands-on teaching on routine clinical cases and/or modality techniques and protocols, led by an assigned tutor.
In non-native English speaking training centres teaching would be in English, while major radiological conferences and reporting may be in the local language. Some knowledge of the local language may be an advantage.
The trainee will be able to observe clinical activities, but will not have direct patient care responsibilities.
It is the trainee’s responsibility to communicate with the centre regarding the details of the training and whether more responsibilities than observer status can be obtained. ESOR solely acts as facilitator and coordinator between the training centre and the trainee.
After completion of the training programme, the resident receives a certificate from ESR/ESOR. In order to receive this, the scholar must present a written report about his/her work and activities during the programme.